- European Higher Education Area - EHEA
- View 3 institutions with 17 reports
Governmental membershipLuxembourg has been a Governmental Member of EQAR since February 2008.
General information on higher education
Higher education in Luxembourg is provided by the University of Luxembourg, private higher education institutions and short cycle higher education providers.
National external quality assurance requirements
Luxembourg does not have a national accreditation organisation. The Ministry of Higher Education and Research recourse to foreign agencies (mainly EQAR-registered agencies) and experts.
- The University of Luxembourg is evaluated every four years by a foreign agency commissioned by the Minister of Higher Education and Research. The institutional level is an integral part of the evaluation, whereas the other areas are reviewed alternatively. The Bachelor, Master and PhD programmes offered by the University of Luxembourg are automatically recognised (see amended Law of 27 June 2018).
- Foreign private higher education institutions operating in Luxembourg are evaluated every five years at programme and institutional level by an EQAR-registered agency, commissioned by the Minister of Higher Education and Research.
- Short cycle higher education programmes are evaluated every five years by an expert group nominated by the Minister of Higher Education and Research.
Institutional accreditation and programme accreditation.
EHEA key commitment
Fully aligned with the ESG
A fully functioning quality assurance system is in operation nationwide, in which all higher education institutions are subject to regular external quality assurance by an agency that has successfully demonstrated compliance with the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the EHEA (ESG) through registration on EQAR
Cross-border quality assurance
Recognising EQAR-registered agencies as part of the national external QA requirements
For the external evaluation of private higher education institution the following requirements apply:
Eligibility requirements for foreign agencies: EQAR registration; the agency is selected by the Ministry of Higher Education and Research.
Conditions for the agencies’ work (e.g. criteria to be used): The agency has to follow the accreditation criteria set out in the legal framework of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
Recognition of reviews carried out by foreign agencies: The final decision is taken by the Ministry based on the result of the expert's assessment.
European Approach for Quality Assurance of Joint Programmes
European Approach available to some higher education institutions or only under specific conditions
- The European Approach is available to the University of Luxembourg. Due to its “self-accrediting” status the University of Luxembourg can employ the European Approach for its programmes.
- Other Luxembourg higher education institutions that require external programme accreditation cannot use the European Approach.